The Library offers free access to the Internet as well as a variety of desktop publishing programs & other software applications. Users are expected to adhere to the Library's Guidelines for Using a Computer.
The standard session length for computers is 30 minutes, with the possibility of a limited number of automatic extensions, subject to demand.
The Library offers access to a printer for computer users.
Printing is available at a cost of 25 cents per black & white page. Color printing is available at for $1.00 per page. Printing may be paid for by cash, check, or credit/debit card.
The Library offers free wireless access (Wi-Fi)
Using your computer's network utilities, look for the wireless network named “socallib-public.”
The Library’s wireless network does not require a password to connect.
Limitations and Disclaimers Regarding Wireless Access
The Library's wireless network is not secure. Information sent from or to your laptop can be captured by anyone else with a wireless device and the appropriate software, within three hundred feet.
Library staff are not able to provide technical assistance and no guarantee can be provided that you will be able to make a wireless connection.
The Library assumes no responsibility for the safety of equipment or for laptop configurations, security, or data files resulting from connection to the Library's network.
Guidelines for Using a Computer
- Users must conform to the policies stated here when using Library computers.
- Headphones are required for listening to any resource with an audio component. Users may borrow headphones from the Library or use their own.
- Internet and database users must perform their own searches, though staff may provide assistance as time allows. Limited assistance may also be provided with word processing and other desktop applications.
- All print jobs must be collected prior to the Library’s closing time. Only paper provided by the Library is to be used in Library printers.
- A USB-ready memory device or CD-R disk is required to save your work.
- At the end of each session, patrons must leave the computer promptly so it can be made available to the next user.
- The last computer session of the day ends 30 minutes before the Library closes.
- The Library is not responsible for time or data lost due to computer failure.